Atlanfish Responsible Practices
Atlanfish Ltd has worked for the past 12yrs. with fishermen, developing and implementing an Integrated Crab Management Plan. Below are some measures implemented by Atlanfish Ltd and our fishermen :
- Collection of scientific data, record keeping and reporting back to the Marine Institute of Ireland (Government Agency)
- Tag and Release programme: Tagging crab to allow the Marine Institute of Ireland to plot the crab migration and monitor health of the stock.
- Seasons: Atlanfish QC Team only purchase crab at their prime. Not when the crab is weak, molting / spawning. These limited catching durations enhance conservation measures.
- Trap Designs: management practices are in place regarding the size, type and materials used.
- Carapace Size Limit: Minimum crab carapace size established – to eliminate juveniles being landed, undersized crab are returned live to the sea.
- Day Boat Fishery: We source the majority of our crab from a day boats that land to the many small piers around Inishowen and Malin Head. All our crab is taken to the factory within hours of landing for immediate processing.
- Limits on trap numbers: a limit is placed on the number traps available to each fisherman during the season.